понедельник, 2 февраля 2015 г.

Postcard

Hi, Victoria!          
   How are you? Remember me? I am Rosalia Pellegrino from Italy. I have been living in America for half a year. Two days ago I had an intense nostalgia for my native country. Do you want to know why my family and I came to America six months ago? 

   To begin with, we were refugees and sought asylum.  My father worked in the local government and I thought that nothing can change our life but one day he came home and said that we should flee the country. As it happens, I had no desire to leave my homeland but what could I do? In fact, we were uprooted.
   Emigration was really popular at that time and a lot of people left their homes seeking better life in other vibrant countries. Thank God, I got accustomed to living in America. It’s stunning country and there is no hostility towards foreigners.    
      
   In order to immigrate to America I had to have a valid passport but I already had. I was abroad with my family once or twice. To be honest, my photo in the passport was not very charming and I didn’t want to show it.
L When my father bought tickets it turned out that we would travel by ocean liner. I was not allowed to pack many things, so I took clothes, shoes and bedding. Needless to say that the first two things were necessary, because one day my blouse and shoes will wear out and I will need to change them. My mom didn’t have any idea why I took bedding but it was my firm conviction that I needed it.  It took us ages to get to America. Just imagine three weeks by sea! Actually, the crew on the ship wasn’t pleasant, our cabin and bunks were not comfortable but I liked spending time on deck. Before we could go to New York we had to pass through health and legal inspections at Ellis Island in order to convinced American officials that we were healthy enough to earn a living. Inspectors examined our eyes, heads and the rest of our bodies. We were healthy. I didn’t even dream about luxury hotel because all immigrants lived in tenement apartment buildings. We are living on the most crowded street in the Lower East Side. At first, it was a bit of a culture shock but now I got used to living here.      

   
I would like to tell you about my job in America. My father brings work home to earn extra money every day. I don’t have any time to laze around because all of us do their bit. We can do everything: sew clothes, make artificial flowers, launder and many other things. To tell the truth, I have a great desire to study but it might be a financial sacrifice for our family. Once a week I have an opportunity to go for a wander or spent time with children playing stickball for fun.  In such a way I kill two birds with one stone spending my free time interesting and economizing family budget. A lot of my friends have Victrola and can listen to the records of music and stories. I also would like to have one but my father says that we should put aside money.
   I get up early in the morning in order to help my mother cook different meals. Sometimes, it can be a lot of labor and I have to work at a hot stove but people are happy when they eat my dishes.        
 
The most wonderful news! Yesterday my parents bought me a bed and mattress for my saved pocket money. Sleeping on the chair was the biggest pet hate. Finally, I can use bedding which I brought with me from Italy. Victoria, sorry, my mother is calling me. She bought Bumuelos for me J I have to hurry.



Tell me about your brothers and mother. How are they? I’m looking forward to your answer.       
   
Best wishes,        
Rosalia Pellegrino

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий